Step Up Your Home Automation with IFTTT
From smartphones to home assistants, the phone, computer and security industries are capitalizing on the “smart technology” revolution. After all, with so many amazing new advancements at our fingertips, who wouldn’t want to incorporate them into daily life and push the limits of how technology can make our world more convenient? The next logical step for smart tech is automating our homes to ensure effortless security and comfort.
Unfortunately, beyond home assistants like the Amazon Echo, which is powered by the voice-activated cloud service, “Alexa,” or Google Home, most home automation is still in its infancy and has yet to reach its full potential. While there are plenty of gadgets that can more precisely control multiple areas of your home, the trouble comes from actually making those processes automatic rather than manual. This is where IFTTT comes in.
What Is IFTTT?
Home automation tools have not been standardized across the industry yet, and many operate on a manual basis, like at the press of a button or with a verbal command, not by true automation. “If This, Then That” (IFTTT) remedies this problem by setting conditions under which your automation tools will activate.
In essence, IFTTT is a type of programming with which you can select “triggers” for sequential “actions” that will automatically occur without any input from you. Each of these trigger-to-action combinations is called a “recipe.” For example, after connecting your smart sensor and Nest thermostat to the online portal that controls your IFTTT recipes, you can create a new recipe where if the sensor reaches 60 degrees Fahrenheit, your Nest automatically heats the home to 75 degrees. IFTTT is a way for your various smart home devices made by different manufacturers to connect to one another via the internet.
How Can I Use IFTTT in My Home?
The more home automation gadgets you have, the more you can do to automate your home’s functions. If you aren’t sure where to begin, the IFTTT website offers a database of public recipes built by other users that you can download and utilize in your own home. Otherwise, the sky’s the limit! Here are some of the neatest recipes you can find through IFTTT.
- Let Alexa close up shop for the night. With the voice command “goodnight, all,” Alexa will close your blinds, lock your doors and turn off all the lights in your home. Of course, this also requires smart home technology through your smartphone or security system.
- With a WeMo® coffeemaker, Philips Hue lighting, a Nest thermometer and even a Slack connection, you can turn everything on as soon as your alarm goes off. While you roll out of bed, let this recipe brew you a cup of coffee, light and warm up your home and let your coworkers know you’ll arrive in an hour.
- If security is a concern for you, connect your Ring video doorbell with Philips Hue lights to welcome guests and frighten off potential home invaders. This recipe detects motion at your door and lights up the area automatically.
- Need a timer reminder when you’re doing chores around the house? Sync Alexa and your Philips Hue lights with this recipe. When you set a timer on Alexa, your Philips Hue lights will blink when the timer hits zero. Never overbake cookies or miss the start of your favorite show again.
- With this recipe, you no longer have to worry about forgetting to arm your security system as you leave. A Blink home security system will arm itself whenever you leave the house.
Home Automation Installation and Setup Services in Bryan/College Station
Homeowners across the country are embracing the convenience and peace of mind of home automation, especially when it comes to security. Whether you’d like your Amazon Echo to handle the work or you want total control through your smartphone, IFTTT offers numerous automation options for those who want an easy solution to their everyday problems and inconveniences.
Malek Electrical can help. We pride ourselves on offering a one-of-a-kind home automation division that can help you install, set up and utilize technology to make your home safer and more reliable. Our experienced technicians specialize in automated home security, lighting and monitoring and are eager to help you customize your home. Financing options are available. Contact us online or call 979-446-0296 to schedule your appointment today!
March 5, 2018